Welcome to the Pinetree Line Web Site!
The Background and Political Climate
- BackgroundThis section introduces the philosophy of why this Web site was created and to whom it is dedicated.
- In The BeginningThe beginning of the Pinetree Line.
- Slide ShowThis series of slides is reproduced from an official presentation from the Cold War era. It clearly shows the overwhelming concern about nuclear attack and stresses the kind of political and military climate that the thousands of personnel lived with while serving on the Pinetree Line.
- ReportsThis section offers an assortment of monthly progress reports which originated within the Pinetree Project Office covering the Pinetree Line during the years 1952-55. We have also obtained a small number of Canadian External Relations reports which pertain to the Pinetree Line or Contintental Defence during the years 1952-55.
The Physical Locations:
- Radar Stations MapThis map shows the location of the 44 Pinetree Line radar sites on a map of Canada. Click on the map for a larger and more detailed view.
- Air Defense BoundariesThis series of maps shows the locations of the various Regional Operational Control Centres, NORAD boundaries and radar coverage by the various sites and spans the years 1955 through 1975.
- Pinetree LocationsThis is the index page for the 44 sites on the Pinetree Line. Beside each name is the date of the last update of information for that site. Clicking on the name of a station takes you to an “index card” with statistical data and links to photos, area maps, crests and travel detail specific to that station. Not all the detail is complete. If you have information that can fill in the gaps please consider contributing to this site.
- Gap FillersBesides the main stations on the Pinetree Line there were a series of “Gap Fillers” planned and built to cover the gaps in radar coverage. Information on these sites are similar to that for the main locations.
- Metz, FranceMetz France was the location of 61 AC&W Squadron. There were also a number of other lodger units located at Metz such as 1 Air Division HQ, Support Unit (SU) Metz and 601 Telecom Squadron to name a few. We also offer detail on the RCAF Cemetery which was located at Choloy.
- MiscellaneousThis page is the gathering place for all items that don’t fit in anywhere else on this site.
Other Pinetree Line Pages
- Other ResourcesThis page includes Web sites, articles, books and videos that are related to the Pinetree Line. If you are looking for more information this is a great starting point.